Gluten sensitivity is when you have an adverse reaction to foods containing gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and other grains such as barley, oat, rye and spelt.
Most people would never attribute the following symptoms to gluten sensitivity, but they are strong indicators:
- Excessive fatigue and depression
- Weight gain
- Body aches, joint pain
- Abdominal pain, bloating, cramping, constipation or diarrhea
When food shopping, get into the habit of reading labels and avoid food with gluten or wheat in the ingredient list.
There are many hidden sources of gluten in food which can cause gluten sensitivity:
- Imitation seafood
- Soup base and sauces
- Processed meat
- Malt or malt flavoring and caramel color
- Vegetable protein
- Natural and artificial flavors
- Vegetable gum and modified food starch
A gluten free diet will help reduce and in some cases eliminate gluten sensitivity symptoms entirely. Other ways to eliminate gluten sensitivity:
- A blood test will help determine if you have Celiac disease
- Taking a high-quality digestive supplement such as Advanced Digestive Enzymes will help break down the foods you are eating help alleviate discomfort in the digestive system
- Find relief from the bloating, cramping, constipation or diarrhea that you may be experiencing with an intestinal support supplement like Advanced ProBiotic Formula
Healthy fact: An IgG food sensitivity/intolerance test from an integrative practitioner can help determine which foods are contributing to your discomfort.